The Florida Bar will launch the Florida Free Legal Answers online pro bono project this spring. You are able to enroll now in this unique online pro bono project and conduct pro bono service online from your office, your home, or wherever you choose. The enrollment process for volunteer attorneys to provide online pro bono legal service is open to members of The Florida Bar who are eligible to practice. The site will not be open for the public to begin enrolling and begin asking questions until later this spring or early summer when we reach a minimum threshold number of volunteer attorneys enrolled to participate in the project.
What is Florida Free Legal Answers?
Florida Free Legal Answers is a virtual legal advice clinic. Qualifying users post their civil legal question to their state’s website. Users will then be emailed when their question receives a response. Attorney volunteers, log in to the website, select questions to answer, and provide legal information and advice. Volunteer attorneys will not answer criminal law questions. Florida has its own page where qualifying residents will post their question. Florida Free Legal Answers is a project of the American Bar Association’s ABA Free Legal Answers and the Standing Committee on Pro Bono and Public Service.
Florida Free Legal Answers will allow users to pose legal questions to be answered by volunteer attorneys:
- Users will need to meet income eligibility guidelines and be located in Florida;
- Questions will be regarding civil legal matters;
- Answers will be provided by volunteer Florida bar members who are eligible to practice;
- Links will be provided to lawyer referral and other legal services projects for those not eligible or who need more in-depth legal representation.
Florida Fee Legal Answers increases services to low-income Floridians:
- Allows users in rural areas to access legal resources from across the state;
- Provision of brief advice allows legal services staff attorneys to focus on full representation;
- Provision of brief advice can prevent larger legal crises from developing;
Can I participate in Florida Free Legal Answers?
- Yes, as long as you are a member in good standing of The Florida Bar and eligible to practice law in Florida. Enroll today at florida.freelegalanswers.org and click on “Volunteer Attorney Registration” and agree to the Attorney Agreement. Enrollments are being accepted now, but the project will not launch until late spring when we have reached a minimum threshold number of volunteer attorneys for the project.
Florida Free Legal Answers increases pro bono opportunities:
- Convenient pro bono opportunity that attorneys can fit into their schedule;
- Attorneys can log in and provide answers 24/7/365;
- Reaches volunteer attorneys with restricted time in which to provide pro bono, such as corporate attorneys, government attorneys (who are eligible to handle pro bono cases); lawyers who cannot take time outside of the office; etc.
The American Bar Association offers Florida participating attorneys:
- No cost to the bar member to participate in this online pro bono opportunity / virtual legal advice clinic;
- Malpractice insurance for all volunteer attorneys will be provided
Enroll Today to participate in the Florida Free Legal Answers project (launching this spring) at florida.freelegalanswers.org.
If you have questions regarding the Florida Free Legal Answers project, please email email@example.com.