FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 16, 2016
CONTACT: Christa Calamas, Chair; email@example.com
First District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED FOR FLORIDA’S FIRST DISTRICT COURT OF APPEAL
The application deadline for a vacancy in First District Court of Appeal has been extended to noon on Friday, March 25, 2016.
First District Court of Appeal Judge R. V. Swanson has announced that he will be stepping down from his position on the Court, creating a vacancy. The First District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission has been asked to provide Gov. Rick Scott with nominees on or before April 5, 2016.
The JNC received few applications by the prior deadline, which leads the commission to believe there may have been insufficient notice of the vacancy and application deadline. This deadline extension should not be interpreted as a reflection on the current applicants; rather, it is a reflection of the desire of the JNC to overcome any possibility that notice of the vacancy and deadline was insufficient and to be able to consider as many qualified applicants as possible.
Qualifications of Applications:
Applications submitted after the deadline WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. All applicants must have been members of The Florida Bar for at least 10 years, and must be electors of the state of Florida and residents of the First District before taking office.
Instructions for Submission:
- Judicial applications for this District Court vacancy must be received before noon on Friday, March 25, 2016 to the following electronic addresses:
Attn: First District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission
c/o Christa Calamas, Chair
- The Judicial Application, which can be downloaded from the Florida Bar website (floridabar.org) must include:
- One (1) digital (electronic) copy of the application (either as a .PDF or in Microsoft Word), and one (1) digital (electronic) copy of the application with personal information redacted in a format suitable for submission in response to a public records request, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A recent photograph, attached to the original and each copy.
- All letters of recommendation that you wish the commission to consider. However, recommendations may also be sent as supplements, after the application is submitted.
- Copies of your completed Federal Income Tax returns for the preceding three (3) years OR the completed Financial History and Form 6 contained in the application. Note: if you are practicing law as a professional association, your tax returns for the three-year period should include the tax returns for the professional association. (These shall be transmitted electronically together with the original of the application.)
- Any additional information that you feel may be helpful to the commission in assessing your qualifications.
- After the deadline for submitting applications, the commission will determine which applicants to interview. If you are to be interviewed, you will be contacted to confirm the date, time and location.
- As you know, all proceedings of the commission are open to the public except for deliberations. Accordingly, you should not expect your application to be kept confidential.
- If an applicant is nominated, all materials attached to the original application will be submitted to the governor.
- If there is any question about the application process, please contact Christa Calamas at the address above.
Christa Calamas, Chair
Florida House of Representatives
214 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Edward P. Fleming
McDonald Fleming Moorhead
25 W. Government St.
Pensacola, FL 32526
1286 Windsor Harbor Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32225
Timothy Wayne Volpe
Adams and Reese LLP
501 Riverside Ave., 7th Floor
Jacksonville, FL 32202-4934
Gary R. Rutledge
119 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32301
P.O. Box 551
Tallahassee, FL 32302
Jerome M. Novey
851 E. Park Ave.
Tallahassee, FL 32301-2620
Gary K. Hunter
Hopping Green & Sams, P.A.
119 S. Monroe St., Suite 300
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Michael R. Freed
Gunster Law Firm
225 Water St., Suite 1750
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Richard E. Doran
123 S. Calhoun St.
P.O. Box 391
Tallahassee, FL 32302
Members of the bench, the Bar and the public are urged to contact the members of the commission concerning applicants for judicial positions.